Friday, July 3, 2026

Vengeful Ascension mini review


 

 

 “Vengeful Ascension” is the seventh Goatwhore album, released on June 23rdm 2017. It is the last album to have James Harvey on it, and I believe the last album James ever recorded on before his death in 2023. 

It starts out with this great drum intro on the song “Forsaken”. The album as a whole is slower, and goes a bit more into the Death Metal element. Lyrically, you see more esoteric elements than in the previous 3 albums, closer to what you’d read on “A Haunting Curse”. 

Instrumentally, the album sounds more “depressed” in a way. It’s not nearly as playful. And it’s sad sounding in some parts. When I think of a color, I imagine the color grey. Like a grey sky, and grey ground. 

This may also be because the guitars sound compressed to me. I don’t know why, but it’s like Sammy’s guitars are muffled in some sense. This doesn’t even seem to be the case for James’ bass. I don’t know if this was an error, or intentional. 

My favorite tracks off the album are “Chaos Arcane”, “Under The Flesh, Into The Soul”, “Drowned In Grim Rebirth”, and “Mankind Will Have No Mercy”. There’s one part with “Mankind” where I can’t help but say “meow” along with the guitars. “Meow meow meow!”. Which seems to make sense with how much Sammy likes cats.

The album art is quite possibly the best art I’ve ever seen. Jordan Barlow outdid himself for this one, and I wish that you could just by prints to it separately. 

Overall, a good album. 3.25/5


 

No comments:

Post a Comment