“Funeral Dirge for the Rotting Sun” is the second Goatwhore album, released on July 21st, 2003. It is the last album to have Pat Bruders and Zak Nolan on it.
There’s a definite change in the sound here, in comparison to Goatwhore’s first album. It’s like a small fire that is soon to erupt into something larger. You can already hear the band’s style changing, where they aren’t completely Black Metal anymore. There’s more of a punk element to the songs, though the lyrics remain in that esoteric element. A good example of this would be “Chanting Bells of Funeral Anguish”, which is one of my favorite songs on the album.
One of my other favorite songs on the album is “Sky Inferno”, which the band would sometimes play live. It was even better to hear in person. I think the line, “The path I walk, is paved with the ashes of corpses. Beneath my feet, are the souls of thousands”, is bad ass.
There is this “Blackened Death Metal” sound to the album, that is akin to what you’d hear from Behemoth around this time period. An album that comes to mind is “The Apostasy”, for example. “Zos Kia Cultus” is another one.
I think the album is more of a “Grower”, for anyone that listens to it. You might have to already be a Goatwhore fan to love this album, but I like it for what it is.
3/5

No comments:
Post a Comment