“A Haunting Curse” is the third Goatwhore album, released on September 5th, 2006. This is the first album to have Zack Simmons on drums, and their first album with Metal Blade.
For the longest time, this was my favorite Goatwhore album, though it has been beat out by their first one, “The Eclipse of Ages Into Black”.
I think that this album is fantastic, and starts like a bat out of hell. When played right after their second one, the difference is clear, and you can hear how the bar had risen for them. Something definitely changed, and it seems that they really started to think of things more professionally.
The album really strays from the original Black Metal sound from their first album, but it’s still a great record. This is more in line with the “Blackened Death Metal” sound, though you hear a lot more of Sammy Duet’s punk influences. This is apparent on songs like “Wear These Scars of Testimony” and “Diabolical Submergence of Rebirth”.
My favorite songs on the album are “My Eyes Are The Spears of Chaos”, “A Haunting Curse”, and “Silence Marked By The Breaking of Bone”. I love the bends on “Silence” especially.
Though as a whole, I enjoy the whole album.
The lyrics are still esoteric, and seem to referenced various old pieces of literature, and their concepts. “The Witches Hammer”, and “The Five Satans” are examples of this.
I think that this is a fantastic album, and if you’re a fan of bands like Behemoth, you’d enjoy this on.
4/5

No comments:
Post a Comment